ABBREVIATED SCHEDULE OF CHECKOFF MEETINGS - 2013 Cattle Industry Convention, Tampa, Fla.
JOINT BEEF CHECKOFF PROGRAM COMMITTEES
The Cattlemen’s Beef Board and the Federation of State Beef Councils maintain joint program advisory committees and subcommittees to review proposed and existing national checkoff programs and to make associated recommendations to the Beef Promotion Operating Committee. In 2011, the Beef Board and Federation agreed to revamp that joint committee structure, and the resulting structure — approved by both the Beef Board and Federation in July 2012 – is based on a new, more practical way of thinking for the time, by organizing into committees according to strategic objectives of the Beef Industry Long Range Plan. It aims to raise more producer and importer voices into higher-level program decision-making so that individual CBB members and Federation diretors have a stronger say in the checkoff process.
Below is a list of the new checkoff program committees and subcommittees, with links to more information about each, beginning with agendas for their initial meetings at the 2013 Cattle Industry Convention in Tampa, Fla.
General materials for all program committees:
- Full Committee Roster
- FY2013 Q1 Checkoff Program Update
- Beef Industry Long Range Plan 2011-2013
- Joint Advisory Committees Policies & Procedures
- Checkoff Committee Guidelines
Domestic Consumer Preference Committee
Works on the implementation of beef checkoff-funded programs in the domestic U.S. market that are aligned against the consumer beef demand drivers of convenience, safety, value, nutrition and health, and taste.
The committee has five joint CBB/Federation subcommittees:
- Convenience Subcommittee: Develops strategies to fulfill consumer expectations for beef selection, preparation and ease of use.
- Safety Subcommittee: Develops strategies to continually improve the safety of beef, while maintaining and improving consumer confidence in beef.
- Value Subcommittee: Develops strategies to satisfy consumer preference for beef at a fair price.
- Nutrition & Health Subcommittee: Develops strategies to enhance consumer knowledge of the positive health and nutritional benefits of beef.
- Taste Subcommittee: Develops strategies to deliver a consistent and memorable beef eating experience.
Global Growth Committee
Develops strategies for beef checkoff-funded programs to promote U.S. beef in foreign markets. The committee’s goal is aligned to the Industry Long Range Plan’s Global Growth Core Strategy to increase the value of U.S. beef exports 25 percent per head by December 2013.
Beef’s Image Committee
Develops strategies for beef checkoff-funded programs to strengthen the image of beef and the beef industry. The committee’s goal is aligned to the Industry Long Range Plan’s Image Core Strategy to increase the Consumer Index preference measure from 17 percent to 20 percent by December 2013.
Freedom to Operate Committee
Develops strategies for beef checkoff-funded programs that protect and enhance beef producers’ freedom to operate. The committee’s goal is aligned to the Strategic Initiatives in the Industry Long Range Plan.
Joint Working Groups
Reviews beef checkoff-funded research to ensure coordination and awareness of market research.
Develops strategies that communicate checkoff-funded program results to checkoff investors.